Geoff Butcher spoke at the last Viva Networking Meeting about his efforts to cut back on the price of housing by focusing on development costs, and working co-operatively to develop a piece of land. Visit his Website
Sections cost too much, and many subdivisions are poorly designed and boring because of the limitations put on building design.
The issues for people in Christchurch:
- They will receive a payout on their Red Zone section which is insufficient to buy a new section. OR
- They will receive a payout on their house and section which gives them insufficient equity to buy another property. OR
- They just can’t afford a section OR
- They want to be more involved in the building of their new home and community OR
- They find the covenants are too restrictive OR
- They just want to try to develop and build quality homes in a different way.
Co-operate with a group of people to get a section at a 30% discount to typical current market prices. More detail
One project is Underway – the Hikuwai
All the initial blocks were taken up by cooperative members, with the last one being sold in Dec 2013. However, the central block (originally lot 16) is to be further subdivided. Houses have been designed in this innovative precinct and they are looking for buyers. Interested in buying? More information here